Sunday, November 23, 2014

The Cure by Stephanie Erickson





  The Cure by Stephanie Erickson starts out like all dystopian society books out there. Something has flipped North America upside down, and turned it into a twisted society with rules and regulations that can only be described as cruel.
  But that's where the similarities stopped.
  In The Cure, a deadly disease has spread throughout North America, and nearly wiped out everyone in its path. Although, thanks to this new society's founding fathers, the disease has eventually slowed down with frequent testing on those who sacrifice themselves for the greater good. (Which means, all those who have not been wiped out by the disease are forced to sacrifice themselves to find a cure.)
  Now, finding a cure for the horrible sickness may sound good at first...but will you be willing to risk your life, and your family's lives for the cause?
  This is where we meet Macey Holsinger. Macey's date is rapidly approaching. This is the day where Macey finds out when she will officially be tested for the first time to try and help to find a cure. Macey would be excited to hear this news, if it weren't for the fact that most of the population doesn't survive the government's "tests" to find a cure.
  Will Macey survive her testing? Or will she find a way to avoid her imminent demise?
  I loved this book. I love, love, LOVED this book!
  It had the same ingredients to make the perfect Young Adult, dystopian society novel, but it had an extra spice in there to make it incredible.
  Ms Erickson's writing and way of describing characters, scenery, scenes, etc., made it easy to read, enjoy, and understand. She didn't go over the top with details to bore you, and most of all, her main character was LIKABLE. There are too many books I read with female main characters, even popular ones that I've rated five stars, that make me want to toss the book across the room and kick it out the door. But The Cure didn't have that. I fell in love with Macey the day she painted the forbidden American flag in art class. (Don't ask, just read the book.)
  As I write this, I have just finished The Blackout (by the same author), and I can say now, with gusto, that Stephanie Erickson's stories are completely irresistible.
  The Cure is amazing. That's all I can say about it. And without spoiling things, I will say that part of the reason why I loved this book so much, was because I absolutely adored its ending. It is unlike any other.
  Between you and me (and, well, all of the other people who are probably reading this), I loved this book much more than I loved some New York Times Bestselling series in the same genre. I could easily see The Cure making it to that list, and bypassing some popular series along the way.



Book                                ebook
          

No comments:

Post a Comment