Friday, November 1, 2013

The Ghost Sitter by Peni R. Griffin



  I rarely ever reread books. It's not only because I feel like I should be reading something new and something I've never read before (although, I DO believe that). I don't reread books because...I just don't have enough time. I rarely have enough time to read all the books I want to read for the first time, how am I going to have enough time to read books I've already read?
  But when I love a story enough to where I think about it almost constantly, and can't help but pick it up again, I don't regret it. One of the few books I've reread is The Ghost Sitter by Peni R. Griffin.
  Now, I want you to know that as I'm typing this, I'm catching my breath from running to and from my library in the other room. I ran to my bookshelf to make sure that I still had a copy of The Ghost Sitter, and didn't get rid of it some years back. (I did that when I was younger...I would say, "I don't need this book, I already read it!" I'd give it away or sell it and use the money to buy other things. Now that I'm older, I've grown to regret that decision and have re-bought the books I previously sold.) Thankfully, I still have my elementary school copy of The Ghost Sitter that has been loved, re-loved, read and reread.
  I can't even begin to explain what the premise of this story is...so I'll describe it shortly and sweetly.
  Charlotte has just moved into a new house with her mom, dad and brother. When her brother starts telling Charlotte about his new imaginary friend, Susie, she starts to realize that maybe Susie isn't fake after all, and that she's really a girl who lived in the house before her...
  I read this book when I was a child, and to this day, it has left a lasting impression on me. I can't say that it's a favorite of mine, or that I would rate it five stars, but it IS an incredible book. It's incredibly sad and sweet, but powerful and memorable. There is this one scene towards the end, that STILL gives me chills.
  I enjoy reading and rereading this book because even after all the times I've read it, the emotional effect it has on me hasn't, and I doubt ever will, get old.


Book                                ebook
          

No comments:

Post a Comment