Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard



  When I say, "This is the most horrifying book I've ever read" I mean this is the most horrifying book I've ever read. A Stolen Life took my, "My mom is paranoid" attitude and turned it into a living fear. A real fear that anyone could be taken away from their family any day and not be seen for 18 years...or ever again.
  If you were alive in 1991 and watched the news, you probably heard the story of Jaycee Dugard, an 11-year-old girl who was on her way to school when a man and his wife abducted her in broad daylight. Jaycee Dugard was not seen until 18 years later, after being held captive and forced to have two children by the male captor.
  When A Stolen Life came out, I knew that I had to read it. Jaycee's story is not something pass up. She's so incredibly inspiring, so strong, so admirable, and my heart goes out to her for all she's gone through. In A Stolen Life, you'll read about Jaycee's capture, her struggles and terrors in captivity, how she was finally released back into normal society and how she's adapted to it.
  The life of a kidnapping victim is a terrifying one; not knowing exactly where you are, not knowing what kind of individuals you're with, when (or if) you'll get away...and Jaycee has gone through these exact feelings at the age of 11 years old. The kind of person that would take a child away from their family and do such horrible things to them is an unstable and horrible human being.
  This book is not for the faint of heart. Jaycee, who is not a professional writer, (but I thought she did a excellent job) goes into the horrifying details of her captivity. What that husband and wife did to her, what they made her do...it was sickening.
  Her loss of innocence was absolutely heartbreaking (I couldn't continue the story without letting out a few sobs) and her abduction was terrifying (to the point where I was afraid to run out to the mail box and check my mail).
  Although Jaycee's story is not an easy one to read, I would- and will- suggest it to anyone willing to try it. Her heartbreaking story must be heard and her bravery must be acknowledged.


  Book                                ebook
            

No comments:

Post a Comment