Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green



  The Fault in Our Stars is a book to go into without knowing anything about it. Refrain from reading the book jacket, don't look up a short synopsis...just go into it with eyes (rhetorically) closed and let John Green's words take you over. Escape into it, let the characters tell you their story and let John Green lull you into a state that you wont want to get out of.
  And then collapse into a ball of tears. (This book may include laughter, sadness, LOTS of tears and a possible life changing outcome.)
  I had heard about this book from many people. What I heard repeatedly was, "John Green's new book came out!" until one day I picked up a copy of Entertainment Weekly and the bulls-eye in the back was "The Fault in our Stars is becoming a movie, please Hollywood, DON'T SCREW THIS ONE UP." I was convinced. Several of my friends raved about it, Entertainment Weekly (who has VERY critical book reviewers) loved it and...well, they had autographed copies at Books-A-Million. I went ahead and bought it.
  About a week later, my mom picked it up, read it and laughed...and cried...and laughed and cried some more. She finished it and said (actually sobbed), "You have to read this *blows nose* booooook!"
  I shoved my "To Be Read" list aside, sat down and read it.
  The Fault in Our Stars is THE BEST book I've ever read. I've. EVER. Read.
  I refuse to put a synopsis of the book in my review, only because this is the one book that is best read without knowing about it.
  Hazel and Augustus' relationship is one I could only dream of having, one that's so beautiful and moving it's beyond words.
  I've read almost every book John Green has written (minus a few impossible books that are only available through an online wild goose chase) and every single one of them is life changing/amazing/the best book I've ever read. But of course, The Fault in Our Stars is my favorite.
  It is a beautiful and emotional work of art...the only way to truly describe John Green is saying that he's an artist.
  If you have not read this book, I want you to take this challenge I'm about to give you. Ready? Pick up the book, take the book jacket off and go into it without any preconceived notions.


Book                                ebook
          

2 comments:

  1. love, love, love this! because of you I read the book, it's become my favorite book, and now I suggest the book to everyone I meet! I have friends that have fallen in love with it and I love it more and more everyday. thank you Becca!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so glad you loved it! Books are always so much more enjoyable when you share them with a friend. <3 Big hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete