Monday, September 16, 2013

Yom Kippur as Manifest in an Approaching Dorsal Fin by Adam Byrn Tritt



  I have just finished Yom Kippur as Manifest in an Approaching Dorsal Fin and I am still in awe of how Adam Byrn Tritt has captured the very essence of faith, happiness and loss in under 200 pages. Told mostly in narrative form, this book gives you an insight into the very mind of Adam Byrn Tritt. As the reader, you read (and then subsequently "hear") his words, his thoughts and enter his mind; feel his pain and his happiness.
  Which, in simplistic observations, proves that Mr. Tritt is a wonderful teller of stories. Except I can't exactly SAY stories. Because they're not. What has happened his books is not fiction, it's not something to imagine happening. It's happened and there's no imagining. Adam Byrn Tritt is not Ernest Hemingway, he's not Agatha Christie and he's not Jane Austen. He's Adam and that's exactly who he needs to be to make his books so spectacular. These are his stories and his experiences and no one else's.
  Yom Kippur as Manifest in an Approaching Dorsal and Songs from the Well: A Memoir of Love (Tritt's earlier book- one that had me crying hysterically) are both written in similar fashion. Both written and read in his voice, you still read it like he's speaking to you directly, even if you've never heard his voice.
  Adam Byrn Tritt's books are very emotional, but not in a sense where you can't bear it. The emotions that are triggered by his books are purely sentimental and heartwarming. There are sad parts, don't let me fool you into thinking that his books aren't sad- because they can be-, but it's not a depressing sadness. It's a sadness that warms your heart and makes you think about the beautiful things in life and makes you think about how you're reacting to them. When I'm sad, I always tend to look at the beautiful things in life to assure myself that life isn't always horrible. I don't know what it is, and I'm sure that if Mr. Tritt is reading my review right now he may think I'm crazy for thinking this. But when he writes and describes something sad that's happened, his way of coping and what we're reading as he processes said sad thing, it makes me rethink sad things that have happened to me and how I reacted to them. He has a certain way of processing things that makes me contemplate...I can't say what in general, but just contemplate. Contemplate life, love, loss, grief, happiness, sadness, anger, frustration and all of the other common side effects of tragedy.
  Adam has gone through a lot...a lot of sad things and a lot of wonderful things and I think he's a very brave man to share his experiences with his readers and the world.


Book                                ebook
          

No comments:

Post a Comment