Thursday, January 23, 2014

Unexpected Legacy by Darlene Deluca



  Matt Dalton's world is turned upside down when he finds out that he is the father of an almost seventeen year-old boy. An almost seventeen year-old boy who's survived a deadly car accident, lost a limb, and suffered burns covering half his face.
  Matt cannot just abandon this boy since his mother has already done so. Matt's son, Brady, has been living with his grandparents since he was five years-old, and Matt figures it's time for Brady to have a real father figure in his life.
  The story is told in three perspectives: Matt's, Kate's, and Brady's. Kate is the principal of Brady's new school, and she's caught the eye of Matt, who can only describe her as "Snow White."
  I had a semi-difficult time getting into the story, mostly because I was more interested in reading about Matt and Brady. So when the perspective changed to Kate, I became less interested and impatient. Kate focused completely on her work, her school faculty, and the problems concerning the school, and I would have rather read more about Matt and what was happening now that this teenage boy has entered his life.
   But as the story progressed, the perspectives evened out and there was more of a steady rhythm when it came to character and plot introductions. Also, Kate's character began to grow, as well as the male characters, and Kate entirely redeemed herself.
  This story was incredibly emotional, moving, heart-warming, and sweet. Brady was my most favorite character, along with his father. Like father like son, they had their issues (extremely troubling issues!), but they made it through with the help of their family and friends.
  I swear, this is one of the sweetest books I've ever read. Once I finished it, I just had this overwhelmingly happy feeling in the pit of my stomach. Unexpected Legacy is a major "feel good" book.



Book                                ebook
          

2 comments: