Thursday, July 4, 2013

A Song for Julia by Charles Sheehan-Miles



  I didn't know what to expect when I first started A Song for Julia. Each book of Charles Sheehan-Miles' trilogy is about a different Thompson sister, with Alex being the heroine in Just Remember to Breathe- Thompson Sister book one- and now Julia in this one.
  Alex's story was emotional, sweet, sad and focused on healing emotional and physical wounds, where although A Song for Julia has its serious parts as well, it's more light-hearted, contains more humor and features a dashing punk rocker.
  I think because of these reasons, it's currently my favorite of his books. (Even though I'm reading The Last Hour, the third Thompson Sisters installment.)
  Julia is an intellectual Harvard student with a clear head on her shoulders and "Crank"- the love interest of the story- is a charming high school graduate, and lead singer for a band called "Morbid Obesity."
  When these two come together, they create one of the sweetest love stories I've ever read.
  Without spoiling anything (once again, I try to keep my book reviews spoiler free) one of the main reasons why this book was so enjoyable was Crank's family: His parents' relationship with each other- the good and the bad- and his little brother Sean, who has Asperger Syndrome.
  I got teary eyed numerous times during this book.
  Charles Sheehan-Miles has once again surprised me with his ability to write from a woman's perspective. His books are told in divided parts; half the heroine's and half the protagonist's. When he writes his female characters, I have to remind myself that the author is actually male.
  I normally have a hard time connecting with female characters. Most of them irritate me beyond imagination, but I have fallen in love with Charles' Thompson sisters.

Book                              ebook
          

No comments:

Post a Comment