Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen



  Pride and Prejudice is considered one of the best classics of all time, if not THE best classic of all time. Elizabeth Bennet's strong will and strong mind is highly admirable, especially for the women in the nineteenth century, and Mr. Darcy is... Well, Mr. Darcy. A snobbish and pompous man, yet dashing and charming when he needs to be.
   The romantic plot of this story is tear worthy and at times- hilarious.
  But for some reason, for me, it didn't quite captivate me or grab my interest. I was (I'm ashamed to say) distracted throughout the beginning of the book. However, it DID get better over time, once I got used to Jane Austen's writing and story telling. But even now I have a hard time recalling details about the book.
  I love Elizabeth and Jane (the eldest Bennet sister) so much, their personalities mesh so well and one sister balances out the other so perfectly. With Elizabeth's quick and intelligent remarks and Jane's quiet compassion, they create a perfect combination of heroines. As for Mr. Darcy, even though he was incredibly frustrating and irritating (for Elizabeth and us, the readers) I do say that he has had a major build and development of character. Although, I personally fell in love with Mr. Bingley- Jane's love interest.
  My observation and overall impression of Pride and Prejudice is that I probably would have enjoyed it more had it been written in a different way, or by someone else. Regardless, it is still a timeless classic that demands to be read and appreciated.

                                           Book                               ebook
                                          

1 comment:

  1. Rachelle LitzenbergAugust 17, 2013 at 4:19 PM

    Have you read "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies"? It's a parody

    ReplyDelete