Monday, September 23, 2013

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury



  Fahrenheit 451 may very well be one of the most interesting books I've ever read. The whole premise, the whole plot about burning and banning books is so horrifyingly interesting to me. This book takes place in a dystopian-type, dysfunctional world where books encourage reading, which then encourages thinking, which then inevitably has people thinking freely and rising against the government when they realize that the society they live in is not as wonderful as it may seem. Ray Bradbury wrote dystopian societies before it was cool!
  Fahrenheit 451 makes you really ponder, "What would life be without books?" The firemen (men who actually SET fire to houses that contain books) would have a field day with my house. So many times I stopped reading, looked around and thought, "Oh no, I'm holding a book RIGHT NOW. What if I get caught?"
  It makes you wonder...why are books so dangerous? Why in this dystopian society (when in fact it's not too foreign to our society, where we have our own form of book banning) do they take the right to read away from the civilians? My answer?  Books create free thinking.
  Reading this book was very difficult because when I was in the process of getting through it, I kept wanting to talk to someone about the depth of the book and what was going on. Specifically, the fast paced happenings that had me freaking out like a total spaz, the unpredictable violence and most of all, the similar dystopian occurrences that are in newer dystopian, "rise against the government" books like The Hunger Games, The Giver, Divergent and Matched.
  This book, and especially the ending, had me absolutely breathless! I say that like Fahrenheit 451 is one of the most amazing books I've ever read, and it may just be. But more so I mean that I was just...speechless. Wordless. If you've read the book, you'll understand when I say that the ending was completely shocking and- at least for me- unpredictable.


Book                                ebook
          

No comments:

Post a Comment