Tuesday, September 24, 2013

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee



  To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the best books I've ever read. Not even just in the Classics category. It's one of the best books I've read, altogether. It's also one of the saddest, one of the sweetest and one of the most unfair. Why is it unfair? Well, if you've read it, I think you know what I mean when I say that. But if you haven't read it, that's something you're going to have to find out for yourself. 
  To Kill a Mockingbird was banned several times in many different places for mainly being "immoral" and for being a "filthy, trashy novel." 
  Now, this book is not for the faint of heart. I found it to be very sad, disturbing and emotional- not in a "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" way, but in a "I can't believe people back then treated other people the way they did" way. (Without being too cryptic...Was that too cryptic?)
  Harper Lee got her point across, in my opinion. Her book made me stop and think about the world Scout, Jem and Atticus Finch, and Tom Robinson lived in; the society that they lived in and how (thankfully) foreign it feels to young adults and children now. 
  I was certainly surprised with this book, when it came to Harper Lee's writing and story telling. I really shouldn't feel this way because I've been surprised with almost every classic I've read. When I start a new classic, I always get that, "Oh, this old-timey writing is going to kill me...it's always so dry!" feeling. But like many other classics I've read, Harper Lee's writing was shockingly entertaining, easy and not too unnecessarily complicated with description. I found her writing to be very sweet and fun- she wrote the story just like how she would probably tell it. 
  The book had me very upset at how cruel the world can be and how unfair the legal system can be...and there was a scene at the end that had me freaking out to the point where I was looking behind my back every few seconds. But the ending gave me warm fuzzy feelings and had me tearing up with how much sweetness was in the last few chapters. 
  This is and always will be a favorite classic, and favorite book of mine altogether. 


Book

No comments:

Post a Comment