Saturday, November 16, 2013

What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen



  Before I read any of Sarah Dessen's books, I had no idea what to make of her and her novels. I figured that they were always told by a teenage girl who inevitably had friend problems, a newly found relationship or some other teenage problem that I could never relate to...or so I thought.
  You would think after being proven wrong so many times, I would eventually learn not to stereotype books before I open them. I picked up a Sarah Dessen book (Along for the Ride) with crummy expectations, but picked it up nevertheless.
  I loved it! Her main characters weren't stereotypical and superficial, they were normal. They had normal problems, normal issues, normal teen humor...her teens are overwhelmingly normal!
  I did not fall in love with every Sarah Dessen book that I read. I freely admit that. But then there were others that just...had me. They had me on the verge of tears, they had me guffawing and they had me saying, "Awwwww!" out loud for all to hear. What Happened to Goodbye is one of those "It had me"s.
  Since her parents' divorce, Mclean has been moving from town to town with her restaurant consultant father, changing names and identities with every new home. From becoming gothic, to becoming a pom-pom waving cheerleader, Mclean has done it all.
  But now there's something about this new town that she and her father have moved to that makes her want to be who she really is...and maybe stay there forever.
  Out of all the Sarah Dessen books I've read, What Happened to Goodbye has to be in my top three favorites. Of course there were points where I shook my head and rolled my eyes at some of the things the characters did, but I have that with almost every novel I read.
  If you're looking for a sweet, fun and funny YA romance, read Sarah Dessen, and more specifically, What Happened to Goodbye, The Truth About Forever and This Lullaby.


Book                                ebook
          

No comments:

Post a Comment