Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare






For Logan- Thank you for introducing me to the world of Shadowhunters, Downworlders, and Daylighters. I wish you could have finished the series. I know you would have loved it. This book review is for you, lady. You are very missed.







  I would definitely say that the Mortal Instruments series, starting with City of Bones, helped me get back into reading during my teen years. As a child, I enjoyed the Harry Potter series of course, Goosebumps books by R.L. Stine, American Girl books and the like. But as I got a bit older, I went through a reading dry spell. I had nothing to read that interested me.
  But after a trip to Books-A-Million, and after talking to two of my friends that happened to work there, I picked up a few entertaining YA (Young Adult) books to get me back into that, "I can't live without books" mindset. I picked up Marked by P.C. and Kristin Cast, Crank by Ellen Hopkins, and of course, the star of the hour, City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.
  So Logan, my dear, dear friend, I thank you for suggesting City of Bones to me. This is for you.
  Clary Fray is like every normal girl out there. She has a best friend, Simon, she's in high school, she lives her normal life with her mom in exciting and chaotic New York City, and she's just...normal.
  Until Clary and Simon go to the Pandemonium Club, and she witnesses a cruel murder, right in plain sight. Soon after, Clary learns that the murderers in the club were not human, they were in fact Shadowhunters; demon hunters, who protect fellow Shadowhunters and humans, and destroy harmful demons all over the globe. But there's one Shadowhunter who stands out to Clary...
  Jace.
  In the Mortal Instruments series, you experience action, love, adventure, loss, and all of those beautifully real emotions that emanate from books. It is a fantastic series.
  When I first started this series, there were only three books, and that was as far as Cassandra Clare was willing to go with the story. There was City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, and that was it.
  I read the books, fell in love, and was immediately captivated with this terribly beautiful series. (I say terrible because...well, they're demon hunters, and sometimes the whole "killing demons" process isn't pretty.) But the series was over, the ending was happy, and I (and many, many other Shadowhunter fans) were sated and satisfied. To quote J.K. Rowling- "All was well."
  Until a few years after I finished City of Glass.
  Cassandra Clare announced that Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Alec, and Simon's stories were not over. She was writing another trilogy.
  I had mixed feelings. The ending of the first trilogy was so perfect, I was afraid to think of what could possibly happen in book four, five, and six. Something unhappy has to happen to make the story stay interesting, right? RIGHT?
  Plus, more pages means more room for characters to die. Not happy.
  Please Cassie Clare, let Clary and Jace have their happily ever after. No more bad guys.
  But on the other hand, I did miss them. These books could be really, really good. I missed reading new Mortal Instruments books. Clare's Infernal Devices series (a prequel series about the main characters' ancestors, which I actually love MORE- see future review for more details) was so good, she obviously hadn't lost her writing touch. This could be good.
  Although I was disappointed a bit with book five, I have to say that the new trilogy was actually exceptional. I was very happy to be back with the characters, and just like at the end of City of Glass, I was sated.
  So, if you are itching for a new YA series, pick up City of Bones, you will not regret it. The City of Bones books will be books you cannot put down.
  Of course, there are some dry parts, some heavy (and occasionally irritating) make-out scenes, and a few sob-worthy moments, but hey, don't you have that with every good YA book?


Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments books in chronological order: 


Book                                ebook
          



 Book                                 ebook
          



Book                                 ebook
          



Book                                ebook
          



Book                                 ebook
          



Book                                 ebook
          

No comments:

Post a Comment