Tuesday, June 21, 2016

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin






  A.J. Fikry is the cynical, cranky, and no-nonsense owner of an independent bookstore. He is very specific about the books he reads, the books he sells, and the people who enter his life. But what if he has no control over fate?
  After a prized collection of Poe poems is stolen from his house, A.J. stumbles upon an abandoned baby left alone in his bookstore after hours. Is he ready to take care of another human being? Or is he better off sticking with books?
  In The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry, readers will lose themselves in A.J.'s story, and fall in love with his adventures as a bookstore owner, reader, and parent.
  This was a very sweet read. I won't overplay it and say that it's one of the best stories I've ever read, but I don't regret my time spent reading it. It was precious. Hilarious, full of inside jokes that every reader will understand, sweet, meaningful, and extremely sentimental at points.
  I know it doesn't take much to make me cry, but I got quite choked up near the end!
  A.J. Fikry is all of us. When we share opinions of books not everyone will get. When we passionately protect books with kid gloves as if they're our own children. When we first walk into a bookstore and smell that unforgettable smell of fresh paper, old paper, and ink. A.J. understands. It is obvious that Ms Zevin is a huge reader herself, because reading this book is not unlike chatting with an old friend about your favorite novels.
  Avid readers and bookstore-lovers will cherish this book as I, myself, have cherished this book.



Book                               ebook
          


No comments:

Post a Comment