Tuesday, July 28, 2015

The Wayward Pines Trilogy by Blake Crouch






  If you were to ask me why I love the Wayward Pines trilogy as much as I do, I honestly wouldn't know how to answer. It's not my preferred reading genre. I doubt I would have picked it up without my mom's persistent and never-ending nagging recommendation. I don't think I could honestly put into words what makes this series so magical, and so downright addicting.
  I don't think I can put into words what makes this series so irresistible.
  Ethan Burke has woken up with no identity and limited memory. He doesn't know where his family is, he cannot remember anything that happened to him before he woke up, he cannot remember why he is so banged up and in so much pain, and most of all, he has no idea where he is.
  But he is in Wayward Pines.
  After an excruciating walk around town trying to find anything or anyone familiar, Ethan soon realizes that he is in a lot of trouble. Not only is he in a strange town that he's never been to before, with his family missing in action, he is in a strange town with even stranger people.
  Everyone is acting like they're brainwashed automatons, and Ethan wants to know why...but the secret of Wayward Pines may be more than Ethan can handle.
  Above is the plot for the first book. I have to refrain from divulging what occurs in books two and three, because those, my friends, would be what we call major spoilers.
  When I first read Pines, book one in the Wayward Pines trilogy, I could honestly say that the book was interesting, but most definitely not OMG worthy. Intriguing, fast-paced, and certainly interesting enough to keep me reading, but I was obviously missing what my mother had gained from the story.
  Even after I finished the book, I just didn't get it. I was interested enough to read on in the series, but I wasn't as excited with moving on as I can be with certain favorite series of mine. (This is of no fault of Blake Crouch's...the series just didn't hook me as much as I wanted it to.)
  Book two was even more interesting. Pines (book one) held a certain magic that can only grow from meeting new characters, and having said characters being thrown into puzzling situations, but Wayward (book two) held a combination that was even more powerful. Blake Crouch strengthened somehow.
  Usually, if I've started a series, and even book one hasn't captivated me, the rest of the books following book one would only go downhill from there.
  But Wayward...Wayward was different. Blake Crouch's characters and story line gained speed and sustenance in Wayward's plot, somehow making Pines even more powerful. Of course this is just my opinion, but that's what you came here for, right? To hear my opinion? Yeah, exactly.
  Book two made me appreciate book one, and the series overall, which I never would have thought was possible. I was one book away from leaving this reading experience more disappointed than I could ever imagine, but after Wayward, I gained a little bit of hope.
  And that hope was all I needed.
  Book three sold me. Pines was good, Wayward was better, but The Last Town...The Last Town captured my heart and made me fall in love.
  I don't think I've ever (in my entire life) had a reading experience like this one. It's scenarios like this that make me thankful that I never give up on books, because if I did, I really would have missed out on some once-in-a-lifetime, life-changing reading material. I'm even dong a reread of the trilogy as we speak. You all know that the ONLY books I reread are the Harry Potter books, so this is serious.
  Somehow...somehow Blake Crouch put some unknown, rare magic into his books that had such a powerful effect on me, I feel like I need to take a break from reality to question reality.
  What is real? Are these just books, or are these a part of my soul? Can dogs really look up?
  Maybe not the last one, but you get the gist.
  I can honestly say, after reading roughly almost a thousand books in my lifetime, none have ever been like the Wayward Pines trilogy.
  So, if you're reading this, read Wayward Pines. I don't care if you hate book one, or even if you hate book one and book two, read all three and then come to me. I implore you.
  These books stray outside the world of literature, and make a grand entrance into the world we know as reality. I guarantee these books will stick with you forever.



Buy the ebook trilogy





Or...




Buy book one to try


Book                              ebook
          

No comments:

Post a Comment