Thursday, October 3, 2013

An Interview With Author Juli Page Morgan

           



I had the pleasure of sitting down with Juli Page Morgan, author of "Romances that Rock" such as Athena's Daughter and Crimson and Clover. 
  When I first started reviewing books, the very first author to contact me was Juli Page Morgan herself, so you can imagine how excited I was to interview her! 
  So please give a big round of applause for Juli Page Morgan! 




      The Literary Connoisseur:      Athena's Daughter and Crimson and Clover are both centered around music. What made you incorporate music into your stories? Are you passionate about music, and if so, what do you enjoy listening to?

Juli Page Morgan: I was a rock ‘n roll radio announcer for 20 years, and I was lucky enough to meet a lot of the bands and musicians whose music I played. (Not the one I really wanted to meet, but I’m still hoping! J) After I got over the initial fan girl inner squee-fest, I got to know them as the people they are behind that public persona. They love, they get their hearts broken, they laugh, and they work hard. So when I started writing, I decided to tell those stories. But don’t worry – I did include some of the “rock star” antics, too. After all, that’s a part of who they are, as well.
Oh, I am passionate about music! I’m always hauling home more vinyl records for my turntable, and I swear iTunes heaves a big sigh every time I log on. “Here she comes again. Get ready.” There was always music in our house when I was growing up. My dad was one heck of a guitar player, and my mom was always singing or humming under her breath as she went around the house. Plus, my older brother, who is 15 years older than me, worked in radio, so we always had his station tuned in. But it was when I hit my “tween” years that I started developing my own taste in music, buying records, and sleeping with the radio on. My first love is rock ‘n roll, but if a piece of music touches me, I don’t really care what genre it falls in. In fact, my next book’s title is that of a song that was based on a Cornish folk song. I heard it when I was a teenager, and I’ve loved it ever since.




The Literary Connoisseur: This is somewhat related to the first question: Both Crimson Clover and Athena's Daughter take place in the 70s, what made you choose this era for both books?

Julie Page Morgan: I think I like the 70s and the late 60s so much because it was a time of great change, especially for young people, and I like being able to explore those changes through my characters. People who were the age of my main characters were breaking out of societal norms, and expressing themselves through the way they dressed, the music they listened to, and were living lives so different from the ones their parents lived. I always say I was born a decade too early, because I would have loved to have been Katie’s and Athena’s age in that time period.




The Literary Connoisseur: As an author, how does it feel to see your name on a published book and how does it feel to know how much your fans enjoy your stories?

Juli Page Morgan: The first time I saw a copy of Crimson and Clover, and saw my name right there above the title, I totally freaked out a little. Let’s just say there was a lot of squealing and ugly dancing! J There are copies of my books sitting on the table next to me right now, and just looking at them is still a little unreal.

When someone tells me they liked my books, or writes a review on Amazon, I am so very humbled. Like, bring me to my knees humbled. That’s the way I feel about the books I love, and to know that people feel that way about something I’ve written makes me so grateful.




The Literary Connoisseur: Do you have time to enjoy a good book now and then as well? If so, what do you enjoy reading?

Juli Page Morgan: I will always make time to read! I love getting lost in a good book. My only problem is that there are so many good books and so little time. I enjoy a well-crafted, engrossing story, no matter what genre. I am in total and complete love with Diana Gabaldon’s books, and have read and re-read all of them to tatters. I like anything Fannie Flagg writes – she has such a great voice! Some of the other authors whose books I love are Stephen King, Debi Matlack, Roni Loren, Rick Riordan, Antonia Fraser, Liv Rancourt, Morgan O’Neill, Terri Herman-Ponce, Debra Kayn, Rachel Cross ... I could go on all day! Oh! I have to mention a new author I just discovered – Elizabeth Corva. I fell head over heels in love with her first book, A Million Miles Away, and am sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for her next one!




The Literary Connoisseur: What are your plans for the future? Where do you see yourself in ten years?

Juli Page Morgan: I want to keep writing as long as the muse lets me. J Luckily, I have a lot of ideas for future books, so as long as I can type, I’ll keep writing.




The Literary Connoisseur: Both Athena's Daughter and Crimson and Clover are in ebook and paperback. Which do you prefer for publishing and reading?

Juli Page Morgan: I like both, and I’m not just saying that. J I like the convenience of ebooks, because I can toss my Kindle in my purse and have a ton of books right at my fingertips. It sure comes in handy while waiting for the oil in the car to be changed, or in the doctor’s waiting room, or on line at the DMV. But I adore a print book! I love the way it feels in my hands, the faint whiff of ink from the pages, how up close and immediate the cover art is. They may not be the best for tossing in my purse, but I’ll never give up my print copies. J




The Literary Connoisseur: Were you raised with reading and literature? Is that what made you so passionate about writing?

Juli Page Morgan: My dad loved to read, and I can still remember both my parents reading bedtime stories to my younger brother and me. I wore out more library cards than I can count, and school book fairs were better than Christmas. And those Scholastic book forms they used to send home? I’d pore over those until they were ragged before I finally made my final selections. And I think it was that love for books that made me want to try my hand at writing. My mom said I wrote my first original story at age three, but, um, I don’t remember it. J I do remember the book I tried to write when I was in seventh grade. I had just read Practically Seventeen by Rosemary du Jardin, and was inspired to try to write something like it. I’m sure mine was abysmal, but I wish I’d kept it!




The Literary Connoisseur: What is your dream movie cast for Athena's Daughter? Who would you like to see playing your main characters?

Juli Page Morgan: Oh, Derek Marshall is Johnny Depp, no doubt about it. I’d had another inspiration for Derek when I first started writing the book, but then I came across this picture of the Divine Mr. D., and a light did shine down upon it, and a choir of rock ‘n roll angels did sing, and I knew that was my Derek.





For Athena, I think Kate Hudson. I’ve liked her in every movie I’ve seen her in. And wouldn’t she and Johnny be super hot together?




The Literary Connoisseur: What is your dream movie cast for Crimson and Clover?

Juli Page Morgan: I think Drew Barrymore would rock it as Katie! She’s got that rock ‘n roll flower child vibe. As for Jay ... Man, I really don’t know. If we could find an actor who looks like Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page did circa 1973, that would be perfect! J




The Literary Connoisseur: And last, but not least, I'm sure your fans are just dying to know...(as am I)...what are you working on now?

Juli Page Morgan: I’ve completed my next book, Song Without Words, and am hoping to have it out by the end of October. My cover guy is working on the cover, and I’m finishing the line edits as we speak. It’s set in a radio station in 1982, and I’m super excited about it! Here’s the offical blurb:



"Top jock Spencer Moretti owns the New Orleans Rock radio airwaves. A veteran of countless band interviews at the age of 22, she’s ready for her own world-wide syndicated program. All she needs is one big break, and she finds it during a chance meeting with Geoff Lane, former guitarist for the legendary UK band Axis.
When Spencer discovers that Geoff has a secret music project in the works, one that’s sure to reignite his career, she ropes him into an exclusive interview, determined to snag the juicy details. Intrigued by the lovely disc jockey’s feisty nature and her spitfire temper, Geoff is determined to snag something too – Spencer!
Spencer and Geoff make sweet music together until death strikes their circle of friends. As the body count mounts, it’s clear that someone will go to any lengths to stop them cold. Can they keep a killer from destroying all they have, or will their love song become a murder ballad?"




The Literary Connoisseur: Juli, it was a pleasure and an honor to interview you! Please continue writing and stay awesome!

Juli Page Morgan: Thank you so much for having me, Rebecca! It’s been a joy to be here! J





 

About Juli Page Morgan: 

Juli Page Morgan is a former rock ‘n roll radio announcer who had the great luck to meet and interview lots of bands over the years. During those interviews she heard lots of interesting stories, but it was when the microphone was turned off and they were just hanging out that she heard - and saw - the really juicy stuff! Incorporating these revelations in her books (with names and locations changed to protect the innocent, and often the not-so-innocent!) lets her remember those wonderful people that briefly rocked through her life, and to take her readers on a hard rocking journey full of love, music and happy endings while giving a “backstage peek” at some of the things that really happened. Her Romances that Rock™ include Crimson and Clover published by Crimson Romance, and Athena’s Daughter.

Juli lives in Arkansas with her husband. When she’s not writing she’s recording voiceovers for television commercials, remodeling her old house, and trying to convince her husband the world won’t come to an end if the television is turned off. She also listens to a lot of music at maximum volume and exceeds the speed limit when she drives. Juli’s an unapologetic lover of rock ‘n roll, Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page, and French onion dip, not necessarily in that order.






To find out more about Juli Page Morgan, check out...


 Juli Page Morgan's website: http://julipagemorgan.com/






...and her books, Athena's Daughter and Crimson and Clover




Book                                 ebook
           

          


Book                                ebook
          




Also, here are my reviews for miss Morgan's books:


Athena's Daughter: http://theliteraryconnoisseur.blogspot.com/2013/07/athenas-daughter-by-juli-page-morgan.html

Crimson and Clover: http://theliteraryconnoisseur.blogspot.com/2013/07/crimson-and-clover-by-juli-page-morgan.html




Thank you so much for taking the time out to read my interview with Juli Page Morgan! Have a lovely day and Happy Reading!!!





         

22 comments:

  1. What an excellent interview. I'm on Amazon right ready to add to my collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer! You've made my day! :) I'm so glad you liked the interview.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Jennifer! Enjoy miss Morgan's books!

      Delete
  2. Excellent interview! I have both of Juli's novels on my Kindle, and I can't wait to read them. I was a teenager in the late 1960s and early 70s, so I fit into the mold of her characters. It will be a hoot to read about "history." Funny, it seems like yesterday. And thank you, Juli, for mentioning Morgan O'Neill. I appreciate your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? History? Didn't it just happen? Lol! I'm so glad you stopped by, Deborah. And Morgan O'Neill is now one of my auto-buys! :) (And for those of you who don't know, Deborah is 1/2 of the Morgan O'Neill writing team!)

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I'll have to add Morgan O'Neill to my "to be read" list!

      Delete
  3. Great interview! I really enjoyed CRIMSON AND CLOVER, and I'm looking forward to more of Juli's stories. It sounds like I'll have plenty more to add to my collection. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Donna! As long as I keep tempting my muse with hot rock gods, she keeps me writing. ;) I'm so glad you stopped by!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Donna! Please continue enjoying Juli's stories and hot rock gods! ;-)

      Delete
  4. What a great interview. Thank you Juli and LC. I haven't read either of Juli's books but after this interview I need to read them! I was a child of the 60's/early 70's and you are right, Juli, it was an amazing time of change and new freedoms. I chuckle sometimes when I look at my kids and think, if they only knew what I got up to! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughters always say, "Um, Mom, this IS fiction, right?" And I'm all, "Uh, sure. Fiction. Right!" Lol! Thanks for stopping by Joanna!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, Joanna! It was an absolute blast to work with miss Morgan. Enjoy the books!
      And LOL, Juli! ;-)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rebecca, thank you SO much for having me on your blog! I enjoyed doing the interview so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank YOU, Juli! It was an incredible honor to have you on here to answer questions and keep us updated on your work! I enjoyed it as well- big hugs!

      Delete
  7. Great interview and blog, Rebecca! Juli, thank you for the shout out. I feel the same way about your writing! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Elizabeth! I'll have to take a look at your work as well! ;-)

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete