Friday, August 30, 2013

Matched by Ally Condie



  I started Matched by Ally Condie, thinking that it was going to be like every other dystopian society book out there: Order, rebellion, life, love, death, etc. It started off like the beginning of every novel; the introduction of the main character and description of scenery...
  And that's where the similarities ended.
  Everything Ally Condie described- the pages of books fluttering out of the spine like brittle bones from a corpse, and the passion a boy has for words and poetry- was pure magic. The way she wrote, even describing a simple leaf, was absolute poetry. At points I even stopped reading, put the book down and closed my eyes to picture perfectly what she was saying.
  Cassia Reyes, the main character in Matched, lives in a society where the government (A.K.A. Officials) decides who you are supposed to fall in love with. Every 17 year old has their own Matching Banquet where they will finally see who they are meant to be with...and for Cassia, things couldn't be more confusing.
  All is well. Cassia's match has been chosen for her and it just so happens to be her best friend, Xander. But when another's face flashes across the screen, Cassia can't help but feel there's a reason behind it...
  This book was not what I expected whatsoever. I was expecting another Divergent or Hunger Games and I was pleasantly surprised with a book that was much more than that.
  Honestly, there's not much more to say. Only that if you've read Markus Zusak's writing, you'll understand when I say that Ally Condie has the same talent...the same magic in her words as Markus Zusak.
  This book (for me) was very fulfilling, I finished it feeling like I've read a beautiful piece of poetry.


Book                                ebook
          

No comments:

Post a Comment