Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks



  With The Lucky One being my first Nicholas Sparks novel, I have to tell you that I was delightfully surprised. You always hear the worst about his books, that they're too cheesy, romantic and unrealistic. Now, his novels ARE romantic and (according to some love skeptics) they can be construed as unrealistic, but I think what people are really criticizing are the movies and the fact that they're considered "Chick Flicks." Although I did enjoy the movie for The Lucky One, the book is (of course) MUCH better. (Even though it was an amazing adaptation.) The book is incredibly full of depth and emotion.
  Nicholas Sparks had the remarkable ability to make me feel sympathy for the villain/bad guy of the novel. Come on, Nicholas Sparks, that was NOT fair.
  I absolutely fell head over heels in love with this book. Not only this book, I fell for Thibault (the hero of The Lucky One), Beth (our heroine), the story, the author's writing and the romance... (sighs)
  Logan Thibault, a U.S. Marine in Iraq, finds a half buried photograph of a smiling woman and it saves his life in miraculous ways. He devotes his return home to finding the girl who's responsible.
  I know this type of romance novel is not everyone's cup of tea, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I enjoyed the romance, plot, his strong characters who aren't willing to give up easily- no matter how tough it gets, his humor, his characters' humor and most of all, how realistic they were.
  I think that his characters and their situations are completely believable!
  I rarely like female leads in books, but I actually enjoyed reading Beth's parts. (That's rare for me.) I felt for her, I didn't think she was whiny or annoying and I loved the romantic pairing of her and Logan.
  Since I've finished The Lucky One, I've been collecting more and more of Nicholas Sparks' books and I plan to read and enjoy them all.

Book                                ebook
          

No comments:

Post a Comment