Saturday, August 31, 2013

Unwind by Neal Shusterman



  Now that we're on the subject of dystopian societies (see my previous book reviews for The Giver by Lois Lowry and Matched by Ally Condie), I'd like to talk about Unwind by Neal Shusterman.
  I have not read many of Stephen King's books so I can't say that it's one of the scariest plots out there, but I can say that Unwind has some of the most horrifying concepts I've seen. It scarred me for life. It's completely unthinkable and horrifying to say the least.
  Unwind is one of those books where when I'm not reading it (or the sequel, Unwholly) I tend to forget about it, but when I get back in the Unwinding mindset, I think, "Holy crap, this is good!"
  It's post Second Civil War, where the argument over reproductive rights has been settled with an agreement: Children must be born no matter what the circumstances and between the ages of 13 and 18, if the parents choose, the child can be "Unwound."
  Unwinding is an alternate solution to death...but in my opinion, it may be worse.
  I can't say it's one of my favorite books/series out there because I do love other books more than I love Neal Shusterman's work, but I definitely put his books with Darren Shan (Cirque du Freak), James Dashner (The Maze Runner) and Rick Riordan (The Lightning Thief). I LOVE male main characters, more so than female main characters. There's less drama, less romance and less whining (in my opinion). I have a problem with unnecessary romance in YA books. For example; a book has an awesome plot, lots of adventure and intrigue, a strong male character and other beneficial and lovable characters...and then they introduce a girl that just ends up causing problems for the main character. Unwind does have romance and a minuscule amount of romance, but it doesn't ruin the plot for me.
  Like Percy and Annabeth (from The Lightning Thief), but unlike Thomas and Teresa (from The Maze Runner).
  This is a crazy, frightening and traumatizing book...and I loved every bit of it.


Book                                 ebook
          

No comments:

Post a Comment