Friday, August 16, 2013

The Giver by Lois Lowry



  The Giver by Lois Lowry was my first ever Young Adult, "dystopian society" book. When I was introduced to it, my mom had just started to homeschool me and we were assigned The Giver in our L.I.F.E. (Learning is for Everyone) Class. We were expected to read a chapter per week and then come back to discuss it. It engaged me and captivated me as well as my fellow L.I.F.E. Class "classmates." It left such a memorable impact on me, I can still remember my initial reaction to it to this day. It was hauntingly beautiful.
  I had read it before I even became an avid reader. I can thank Lois Lowry for capturing my interest and getting me addicted to reading, when most kids at my age would rather be occupied skipping school and getting into bad habits. (Gosh, I sound like a grumpy old lady.) The Giver got me kick-started into being happily lost in a good book.
  Lois Lowry introduces Jonas to her readers as a young boy, who's living in a society with strict rules when it comes to "coming of age" celebrations, careers, who you marry and who your kids are chosen to be.
  But in every dystopian society, there's a rebellious main character who questions the way things are being run in their warped community.
  Lois Lowry's The Giver series (now with Son, the "sequel" to The Giver) was here before the Divergent, Hunger Games and Delirium fandoms. For me, Lois Lowry was THE reason why I got into these "rebel against the government" books.
  To this day, when I hear Jonas' name I still feel as if a piece of my heart has been chipped off. With a butter knife.
  Although I cannot say that this series was a favorite of mine (because some books are just unsurpassable on my "favorites" list), I can say that this book was a wonderful coming of age story for me, and when I go back and think about Jonas' world, the world Lois Lowry created, my love for it is renewed over and over again.

Book                               ebook
          

No comments:

Post a Comment